24.5.04

At Cannes That's a Rappes

I honestly had no intention of including yet another Michael Moore reference in this space but then the Jury of the Cannes Festival went ahead and granted the corpulent chronographer the coveted Palme d'Or, so I have to at least give him passing mention.

The amusing part in all of this is that in accepting the award Moore mentioned that he had no intention of having politics be his motivator and wanted to concentrate on film making. "If I wanted to make a political speech, I'd run for office. I'm a filmmaker, and I wanted to make a movie for people to go see it." Then he expressed his wishes for the film to get a quick release and the put out on DVD before the November election. Because it is not political, you see.

Quentin got his opinion heard on the jury as "Old Boy", the violent Asian film took second place, which in Cannes is the Grand Prize. Go figure.

No comments: